"Whilst I have always applied a no compromise, attention to detail approach to my winemaking, I truly believe that 90% of the quality lies in the vineyard. The key to great wine is ‘keeping it simple’ to preserve that potential quality from the vine through to the bottle"- Andrew Thomas
THE SEMILLON VINEYARDS
- Braemore Vineyard, Hermitage Rd, Pokolbin
- The OC Vineyard, Oakey Creek Rd, Pokolbin
- Fordwich Hill, Charlton Rd, Broke
The Braemore vineyard, planted in 1969, is situated on the sandy alluvial flats of Hermitage Road, Pokolbin. Once an ancient sea floor, Braemore consistently produces Semillon featuring freshness, vibrancy and remarkable longevity. The deep, sandy loam soils are free draining allowing deep root penetration, perfect for Semillon.The vineyard producing wine that has achieved an enviable reputation in recent years as being one of the finest examples of classic Hunter Valley Semillon.
THE SHIRAZ VINEYARDS
- Kiss Vineyard, Pokolbin Estate, McDonalds Rd, Pokolbin
- Dam Block Vineyard, Pokolbin Estate, McDonalds Rd, Pokolbin
- The Cote Vineyard, Cote D'or, Debeyers Rd, Pokolbin
- Sweetwater Vineyard, Sweetwater Rd, Belford
- Belford Vineyard, Ridgeview, Sweetwater Rd, Belford
- DJV Vineyard, Trevena, Hermitage Rd, Pokolbin
THE COTE D'OR VINEYARD
The famous Cote d’Or vineyard in central Pokolbin sits at almost 200 metres above sea level, on the steep northerly slope of the ridge south of the Audrey Wilkinson Oakdale property. Cote d'Or was one of the first vineyards established by the Wilkinson family in 1866; by Alfred Wilkinson and his son Frederick (Audrey’s father). It was the fraternal home until the death of Alfred just before WW1.The original vineyard has long been pulled out, but seven acres were replanted on this ridge in 1971. The vineyard is dry-grown on relatively deep brown loamy soil, and scattered with permian fossils.